My first ever big ‘change the world (for better)‘ initiative was helping the MDC opposition in Zimbabwe win the 2008 elections. I have told the story many times (in person, and sometimes with a glass of wine in hand). In order to provide more detail around the story, plus some photos of what actually happened, I put together a document that outlines what was done, why it was done, and what the outcome was. OK, the math was wrong in the end – if there had been 300 extra people with camera phones, the vote would have definitively been recorded and Mutgabe would have lost totally. Still, it was a first-of-a-kind project, an experiment, and it worked enough to usher in the Transitional Government that exists in Zimbabwe today.
This is the kind of extreme problem solving work I find myself doing at my marketing agency, Orcasci (www.orcasci.com). Short, ultra-high impact engagements. When they work (which they do most of the time) the benefit is huge – sometimes, as this case shows, country-changing. And when they don’t work… nothing happens (people just don’t implement the ideas, no disasters).
So, take a look – maybe you’ll be inspired to do a similar project with collective intelligence and the science of spread too. (click to open the PDF)